Saturday, April 4, 2009

Here's the correction of last week's translation...!


Transcript of « Pauline’s Weather Report »

 

Pauline :
Good evening, everybody !

Good evening, sir.

Good evening, Catherine.

 

As you may all (already) know, Barack Obama has written a letter to Jacques Chirac in which he says he’s certain/sure to be able to collaborate/work with him in order to build a safer world.  (safer, not safest)

 

Wouldn’t you know it, Barack Obama also wrote me a sweet little letter—thanks, Barack!  Hugs and kisses!

 

And he also included/attached a certain number of missives/letters, asking me to forward them/pass them on.  (to forward=faire suivre, dans ce cas)

So, (here’s) a letter for you, Michelle; one for Jean-Michel—it’s a little heavy…

 

Jean-Michel :

Is there money inside ?

 

Pauline :

... I don’t know, I didn’t open it, obviously… it’s a post card/this is a post card, I don’t know, one for Lisa, our production assistant…

 

Man :

Good evening, good evening.  Excuse me/Pardon me, I work for the mail room of the Elysée Palace… I was asked to check if there was a (little) letter from Barack Obama for the President of the Republic.

 

Pauline :

Wait/Hold on a second… this one’s for Valéry Giscard d'Estang, and this one’s for Laurie…

 

Man :

That one’s written “Nicolas Sarkozy”…

 

Pauline :

Indeed it is, it’s for the President, but it’s not from the White House, it’s from the Conseil General of the Hauts de Seine… ah well, it says “for Daddy” in parentheses, I think it’s for you.

 

(applause)

 

With neither transition nor arrival confirmation, we’re moving on to the weather.  For the sixth day in a row (=consecutive), the weather will be gorgeous all across France… (yippie!)… I’m exhausted! 

The proof—I haven’t been able to find temperatures exceeding/that exceed -5 C (negative five) in Aurillac and -2 C (negative two) in Paris, I’m really sorry.

 

In the afternoon, sunshine everywhere everywhere everywhere, and then the temperatures will continue to curl up in their little thermometers, but nevertheless it’ll be 12 in Rouen and 16 in Perpignan.  Tomorrow is Saturday, March 21st, and the Goddess of spring is going to take a rest…

 

 

(Le Grand Journal, March 20, 2009, http://player.canalplus.fr/#/225557)

1 comment: